Did you suddenly have a sharp back pain? Of course, in such a situation, it is better to go to a medical institution. But what to do if the pain is very strong and you want to eliminate it yourself as soon as possible? Using the recommendations described in the article, you can significantly alleviate the patient's condition and take care of further maintaining the health of the back.
What not to do if you have severe back and spine pain?
Severe back pain can occur as a result of injury or pinching of a large nerve extending from the spine. Pain sensations arise in different parts, but most often in the lumbosacral. Sometimes severe pain occurs in perfectly healthy young people as a result of careless movement, heavy lifting or hypothermia. In such cases, a person may feel pain immediately or after a few hours.
If back pain appears, you cannot:
- It is also not recommended to use mustard plasters, pepper plaster, bischofite, warming ointments to treat the back by exposure to high temperatures in a sauna or hot bath.
- You should not independently, without a doctor's prescription, use potent drugs such as novocaine blockade (injecting the affected area with novocaine). Such manipulations will relieve pain, but at the same time the possibility of further injury to the nerve remains. In addition, during the visit to the doctor, strong pain relief will complicate the diagnosis and further treatment.
- Wait and hope that the pain will go away on its own. Relapses are not excluded, which will be more difficult to cure than the first attack. If you endure pain for a long time, the pinched nerve can partially or completely die and it will take several years to recover.
- Engaging in regular physical activity - complications may arise.
First aid to the patient with sharp back pain
Treatment of back pain is conventionally divided into 2 types: with the use of drugs and non-drug. If you need to get a quick effect, then the best way of treatment would be to take medications:
- pain relievers;
- drugs that relieve muscle spasms;
- vitamin complexes;
If you have severe back pain, using pain relievers will help relieve pain in a short time. The form of release of funds - tablets, gels, ointments and injections. The choice depends on the nature of the pain and the doctor's recommendation.
Taking vitamin complexes is necessary in order to protect nerve fibers from adverse external influences and strengthen cells.
The next step is to eliminate muscle spasms with the help of medicines intended for this purpose. This will help relieve pressure on the roots of the spinal cord, relieve cramps. This way you can eliminate the cause of severe pain, and not just hide it.
The composition of chondroprotectors includes glucosamines and chondroitins, which are contained in the cartilage tissue of the joints and intervertebral discs. If the inflammatory process was the root cause of back pain, then the proportion of the presence of these substances decreases, respectively, it is necessary to restore the lost volume due to drugs.
There are other methods of treatment - without the use of drugs:
- If your back hurts, massage can help as an emergency. The specialist works out all the muscles, since the epicenter of pain is not necessarily the cause of them. Massage helps to eliminate muscle spasms, improves blood circulation. The main contraindication of the procedure is the presence of tumors, in other cases it is advisable to consult a doctor.
- Acupuncture and acupuncture procedures are common methods for relieving back pain. When performed by an experienced physician, they quickly localize pain.
- The work of a chiropractor is tougher, he acts on bone structures and can set the vertebrae and joints. The method of manual therapy is contraindicated for people suffering from infectious or inflammatory diseases of the spine, spinal cord, cerebrovascular accident, cancer, hypertension. As a result of the work of a chiropractor, the pain becomes stronger, but this pain is useful, it indicates that the muscles are relaxed.
Thus, you can relieve pain attacks in emergency situations, but in any case, a doctor's consultation is required.
The sooner treatment begins, the better. The patient will get rid of unnecessary suffering, and stagnation will not develop in the spine, intervertebral discs will not degrade, and the treatment process itself, with timely access to a medical institution, will take less time than with a neglected disease.
Preventing severe back pain by exercising
After, with the help of a specialist, the back is put in order, in order to prevent severe pain in the future, you should make some adjustments to your regimen and observe it regularly.
- First of all, physical overload and hypothermia should be avoided.
- You cannot lift heavy weights and engage in strength training in the gym, make sudden movements and twists, backbends that load the back.
- Riding and cycling is undesirable, that is, axial loads on the back area should be avoided. Women will have to give up high-heeled shoes.
- Perform a specially selected set of exercises aimed at strengthening the back every day. Stretching and relaxation activities are good. Movements must be performed gently, slowly and correctly. In the process of training, you should focus on your feelings.
A set of exercises for therapeutic gymnastics is developed together with a doctor, taking into account the patient's condition. Spine traction can be performed at home without professional equipment. To perform the exercise, you need to lie on the floor face down, put a pillow under your stomach. Lie like this for about an hour, the pain should go away.
If the pain is not too pronounced, you can relax your back using a regular horizontal bar. You need to hang on it, completely relaxing your back and feeling all the muscles. The spine will stretch and the muscles will relax.
Yoga can help reduce persistent back pain. It is important to find a good coach here. During the exercise, pain and discomfort should not appear. Exercise helps to relax all muscles. For people with back problems, yoga therapy is most suitable.
Another new trend is Pilates. This type of training is quite effective. The coach should be warned about the client's back problems and the goals set for him in order to correctly select the set of exercises.
Not everyone knows about this type of training like qigong. According to some doctors, qigong includes good gymnastic exercises to strengthen the back. Qigong and Pilates are similar, both aimed at working out all areas of the back.
You can just go to the gym. But here you need to be very careful so as not to get the opposite effect instead of recovery. Exercises to strengthen the back should be selected with the participation of a competent trainer with experience with such clients, taking into account your medical history.
It should be remembered that long-term statistical loads negatively affect the health of the back, therefore, you need to establish the correct mode of work and rest.